Font Size

Frequently Asked Questions

Building Department Frequently Asked Questions

What will I need to get a building permit?

First, you will need detailed drawings of the proposed construction. The drawing should include: site plan, foundation plan, floor plans, elevations and wall section showing basic materials and methods of construction.

  1. An application from the building department. (Available here).
  2. A soil erosion permit may be required from Saginaw County.
  3. Other permits as may be required by the Health Department, the Michigan Department of Transportation and other applicable agencies, which may include the Department of Environmental Quality.
  4. For commercial projects, an architect or engineer is required to prepare the drawings for other than minor work as determined by the building official.
  5. For commercial projects, review of the site plan by the Planning Commission may be required.
  6. The proper fee.

How much is a building permit?

The cost of a building permit is based on the estimated cost of construction. A base permit fee of $80 (as of January 2023) is required. The remainder of the cost is calculated based on an additional fee of $8.00 for every $1,000 in construction cost (subject to change).

How long will it take to get my building permit?

If all of the required elements are submitted with a completed building permit application and the appropriate fee, it normally only takes a day or two. Projects requiring a written plan review will take approximately two weeks.

How long is my building permit good for?

Once issued, the project must commence within 6 months of that date. Work on the project may not be abandoned for more than 6 months at a time.

Which building code is Richland Township using?

Construction in Richland Township, like every community in the State of Michigan, is subject to the 2015 Michigan Building Code, w/ State amendments, 2015 Michigan Residential Code, 2018 Michigan Plumbing Code, 2015 Michigan Mechanical Code, 2017 Michigan Electrical Code, 2015 Michigan Rehab. Code, 2015, Uniform Energy Code/

Extra Water Meter for Sprinkler/Irrigation Systems

Installation of a water meter for a lawn sprinkler, irrigation system or outdoor water use requires a plumbing permit and involves coordination between both the Building Department and the Department of Public Works. A plumbing permit must be completed and returned to the Building Department. If you, as a homeowner are completing the permit, there are a number of fields that are not required to be completed - such as your employer identification number, etc. Please write Not Applicable or "NA" in these fields.

Please bring the completed plumbing permit application to the Township Office.  The Plumbing Inspector will review the permit application and subsequently issue the permit.  You can write one check or pay cash.  The Department of Public Works will provide a meter bar.

The homeowner or plumber completes the necessary plumbing work and test the vacuum breaker. Once this is complete, please call 989-642-2097 for a plumbing inspection. After the inspection is complete you will call 989-642-2097 for a meter set.

Where can I put my deck, pool, … or addition?

Please see additional information regarding accessory structures here AND call the office at 989-642-2097 to discuss your specific situation.

What don’t I need a building permit for?

Siding, exchange of same size doors & windows, landscaping, and paving your drive. Check with the building department first at 989-642-2097. A driveway permit may be required for paving your driveway. Call the Saginaw County Road Commission at 989- 752-6140.

Do I need a permit to roof my house